Town Council - current term 2018 to 2022
l-r: Nicole Beatty, Aaron Burchat, Deputy Mayor Suzanne Séguin, Mayor John Henderson, Emily Chorley, Brian Darling, Adam Bureau
|Position||Name||Coordinator Position||Salary & Expenses|
|Mayor||John Henderson||Economic Development||$77,263||$80,473||$78,410|
|Deputy Mayor||Suzanne Séguin||General Government||$31,752||$29,529||$30,151|
|Councillor||Nicole Beatty||Planning and Development Services||$27,514||$25,802||$25,196|
|Councillor||Brian Darling||Public Works Services||$24,075||$25,191||$24,649|
|Councillor||Emily Chorley||Parks and Recreation||$25,426||$25,527||$24,820|
|Councillor||Aaron Burchat||Protection Services||$29,875||$31,892||$31,094|
|Councillor||Adam Bureau||Arts, Culture and Tourism||$23,557||$24,981||$24,210|
|John Henderson||Office: 905 372-4301 Ext 4000 Cell: 289 251-4193|
|Suzanne Séguin||Cell: 905 269-1560|
|Nicole Beatty||Cell: 905 269-5637|
|Brian Darling||Cell: 289 251-2177|
|Emily Chorley||Cell: 905 207-4940|
|Aaron Burchat||Cell: 905-375-3535|
|Adam Bureau||Cell: 905 207-3370|
Council Meetings are held on a 3 week cycle - Committee of the Whole and Regular Council meetings occurring on consecutive Mondays, however, leaving one week at the beginning of each cycle where Council and the public have time to review the agenda. That is, there is a 2 week gap between each Regular Council meeting and the next Committee of the Whole meeting.
A full schedule of dates & times of Council meetings is on the related News site here. Most meetings are at 6:00 pm. See the same page for information on how to access the Council's agenda and streaming video.
Contact the Town
Cobourg Community Centre: 1-888-972-7371
Concert Hall: 1-855-372-2210
See also this list of Advisory Committees and their members
The Town has a newsletter that was worth looking at. These are like a newspaper and cover a range of subjects. So far, there have been six issues: March 2020, Sept 2020, Oct 2020, Nov 2020, Dec 2020 and Feb 2021. Access all at the Town's Newsletter page. Sign up to get notified of a new Newsletter. Unfortunately, they stopped after the Feb 2021 issue!
Or Download the last four issues here:
- Download October 2020 Newsletter (pdf)
- Download November 2020 Newsletter (pdf)
- Download December 2020 Newsletter (pdf)
- Download February 2021 Newsletter (pdf)
Social Media Sites
- Information was valid as of March 2022. Current Transit Map and how to get a ride available here.
Parking in Cobourg
- Where to park in Cobourg and how much it will cost you. Rates and map here. Updated in March 2022 - effective 20 May, 2022.
Community Centre Schedule for Seniors
- Town of Cobourg Events Calendar - pretty useless - instead try Cobourg Internet's Entertainment calendar for a guide to entertainment and other calendars.
- Public Meetings - a regularly updated list of public meetings called by the Town (on a related site).
Current Town Notices
- News Centre - Public Notices and press releases
- Council Agendas and Minutes - takes a lot of reading!
Town News Emails
A collection of emails about News, Press releases, Public Notices and more. These are single subject emails that are issued as they are needed. I suggest you sign up only to Press Releases and Public Notices plus any that you have a special interest in. Go here.
Emergency Notification System
Cobourg has an emergency notification system to get the word out to citizens for such emergencies as derailments, water problems etc. To sign up, you go to this link: http://www.cobourg.ca/en/my-cobourg/Rapid-Notify.aspx It will notify users by:
- Telephone (Cell and Home)
- SMS text messaging
Town of Cobourg - Strategic Plan
- The Strategic Plan for 2019 - 2022 is available on the Town's site here. Or Download Final approved plan (pdf) here. See also the Town's Strategic Plan Work Plan.
Voting for council occurs every 4 years in October. The next vote will be in 2022. Details on the election process and recent results are here. The Town has also created a web site dedicated to the election here.
For more on other local political elections, go to this section of this site.
The population of Cobourg and other Municipalities in Northumberland as of 2021.
A number of Municipal government functions are handled by the County. These include:
- Garbage management – including pickup of “wet” garbage, “dry” (recyclable) garbage and Yard Waste. (More on Yard waste pickup here)
- Social services – that is, welfare, subsidized housing, the Golden Plough Lodge
- Ambulance Services
- Planning for some municipalities
- County Roads and Bridges
- County Economic Development and Tourism
There are a good number of citizen committees set up to advise Council on a range of subjects. For a list of them plus a list of members, go here.
Membership of Rotary
Cobourg Rotary is quite active - Councillors who are Rotary Members:
- Mayor John Henderson
- Deputy Mayor Suzanne Seguin
- Councillor Aaron Burchat
In 2018, the Town published a plain-language By-Law Guide. It's not available online on the Town's web site but is available at this page. Currently the Town's web site only has access to a limited number of By-Laws.